Thursday, April 23, 2015

A book review from our teen fiction collection

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

Park is a quiet boy who loathes attention. Eleanor is a big, red-headed new girl whose gawkiness and style makes her stand out like a sore thumb. On Eleanor's first day, Park hesitantly invites her to sit next to him on the crowded bus and the pair share awkward trips to and from school, until they begin to realise they amicably share similar tastes in comic books and music. As time passes they both fall into a flurry of first love and nothing is ever the same.

I owned this book for a year before I decided to read it and I can't believe that I waited so long! Rainbow Rowell never fails to produce an amazing story and Eleanor and Park is no exception. I can see myself re-reading it in the future because the story was so captivating and I'm so fond of the characters.

It's easy to identify with the characters in this book. Park is an introvert who finds that the best way to deal with his teenage angst is to listen to music and keep to himself. Eleanor wants to be an individual, to stand out from the rest, and she expresses this through an outrageous style of fashion. If you read this book, not only will you fall in love with the story, but you will fall in love with the characters too.

This is a story that has won over my heart and I won't ever forget it. It's beautiful and it perfectly depicts the awkwardness and clumsiness of falling in love for the first time. Although this is categorised as a teen fiction/young adult novel, I believe know that this is a book that can also be enjoyed by adults.

Eleanor and Park is available for loan at Hurstville City Library. Don't cheat yourself out of reading this beautiful book! Click here to view Eleanor and Park in the Hurstville City Library catalogue.

- Holly.

No comments:

Post a Comment