Thursday, September 30, 2010
Check out this excerpt from his talk.
One of the favourites here at the LMG is his Jack West series, starting with The Seven Ancient Wonders. The series continues to include The Six Sacred Stones and lastly The Five Greatest Warriors. These fast paced, action packed novels are a favourite of both young and old.
Come into the LMG today and check one out!
Thursday, September 23, 2010
How about this recycled book chandelier by Lula Dot Studio?
But perhaps the best of all, a recycled book library information desk! Brilliance!
Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Click onto the Hurstville Library Museum and Gallery Website and checkout the eLibrary catalogue.
Tuesday, September 21, 2010
Monday, September 20, 2010
The booth was made up of perforated boards and the original writing tool, pencils! The pencils acted as nails to hold the boards of the display together and as shelves to hold up the books.
Visitors however were invited to take one of the non-essential pencils and keep it as a reminder of this brilliant display.
15,000 pencils were involved in this installation. That's enough to draw a line 840,000 kilometres long! Wow!
Friday, September 17, 2010
We're bopping away here at the LMG on this lovely Friday afternoon to this song, 'Tiger'.
Maximum Balloon's debut album is released on the 21st of September. Another one to add to the LMG catalogue perhaps?
Check out this museum in Independence, Missouri. Leila Cohoon owns this hair museum with over 2,000 pieces of hair jewellery plus other hair wreaths and decorations. Some of the pieces date back to the 1600's.
Here's the catch...Leila's Hair Museum isn't the only museum with hair jewellery, we have some too!
This hair jewellery was donated to the LMG six years ago and is on display in our permanent exhibition Living on the Water's Edge: Stories of St George.
Thursday, September 16, 2010
Wednesday, September 15, 2010
Check out some of these cool pictures of the library/ampitheatre in the dtac House Headquarters in Bangkok. dtac is one of Thailand's leading communication providers who have a corporate philosophy of 'play and learn'. This library certainly looks like it would be relaxing. So innovative!
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
What do you think? Are iPhone apps the way of our literary future? Should the more traditional version of The Fry Chronicles be suggested for purchase for Hurstville Library?
Friday, September 10, 2010
FRUiTS: Tokyo Street Style Photographs by Schochi Aoki
2011 will be here before we know it, so we wanted to introduce our first main gallery exhibition for next year to you.
Via this blog, you’ll be able to follow our process of organising and installing this exhibition.
We must confess that this is not exactly the beginning of the exhibition process…
Hurstville City Library, Museum and Gallery plans its exhibition schedule 2 years in advance meaning that staff have already been working on this exhibition for a while.
FRUiTS: Tokyo Street Style is a travelling exhibition from the Powerhouse Museum and the Museum & Gallery is lucky enough to be hosting it between February – April 2011.
As you can see in the image above, the photographs in this exhibition were taken by Shoichi Aoki. This exhibition details the fashion trends of the Harajuku district in Japan from the mid 1990s to the present.
At the moment the LMG is looking for local fashion students to contribute their own designs and interpretations of these fashion trends for possible exhibiting at the Museum & Gallery during the exhibition.
If you are interested in contributing some of your ideas or you are a fashion student from around the St. George area we would love to hear from you!
Send an email to email@example.com or give us a call on 9330 6444.
Kicking off this year’s Hurstville Discovery Festival of Community Arts, this fantastic show, launched recently at the Marana Theatre by Sydney Theatre Company directors Cate Blanchett and Andrew Upton together with our Mayor, Clr Philip Sansom, is being produced by Sydney Theatre Company in partnership with Hurstville City Council and features Sydney Theatre Company’s ‘The Residents’ together with local community groups.
http://www.trybooking.com/Booking/BookingDates.aspx?eid=4972 or by phoning 9330 6084.
There are two shows only in Hurstville on the 18th and 19th of September so book your seats now!
Leviathan Director, Stefo Nantsou with members of the cast from Sydney Theatre Company and the local Community.
His new book What Makes Us Tick? is a hightly personal account of the things he has learnt from his experiences listening to people talk: about their dreams, fears, faith, hopes, disappointment, frustrations and fantasies.
Thursday, September 09, 2010
Not being so helpful... Poor Nutty
Look who survived! This is Nutty's favourite book. Come into Hurstville Library sometime and check it out!
There are a variety of DVDs and music CDs coming soon to the library and should be on the shelves with in the next few months.
Music CDs Coming Soon
- So Fresh Hits of Spring 2010 - 20 of the biggest hits of the season. Songs from Pink, Guy Sebastian, Black Eyed Peas, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift to name a few.
- Flamingo - Brandon Flowers : Brandon is the front man for the Killers. The album is a mix of Electo-pop, Gospel and Alternative Blues Rock.
- Obadiah - Frazey Ford : Ford is a member of "Be Good Tanyas", a trio from Canada.
This is a laid back album from classic R&B to soul.
- I Believe You Liar - Megan Washington : an Australian musician, songwriter who sings, plays piano and guitar. The album is a little bit of Rock, Pop, Jazz and Blues.
DVDs coming soon
- Percy Jackson & the Lightning Thief: A fantasy-adventure movie starring Pierce Brosnan, Rosairo Dawson and Uma Thurman. Percy Jackson has learned he is the son of Poseidon and is accused of stealing Zeus' lightning bolt, the most powerful weapon ever created. Percy embarks on a cross-country journey to prove his innocence and recover the bolt to prevent a war amongst the gods.
- Dear John: from the author of "The Notebook". Starring Channing Tatum and Amanda Seyfried . Soon after John and Savannah meet and fall in love their relationship is put on hold. John has to leave to complete his service in the armed forces and Savannah has to finish her college education so they keep in touch by writing letters to each other. When war breaks out their relationship has to survive the test of time.
- Natalee Holloway: a true story based on the book "Loving Natalee" by Beth Holloway Twitty: Starring Tracy Pollan, Grant Show and Catherine Dent. Natalee Holloway is a teenager on class trip and disappears without a trace. Together her mother, father and best friend search to uncover the truth which takes more the four years.
- In The Loop: nominated for "Best Adapted Screenplay" Academy Awards 2010. Starring Peter Capaldi, Tom Hollander, Gina McKee, James Gandolfini. A British comedy about an American President and a bumbling British Prime Minister on the brink of war and the possibility of things spinning out of control.
- *Do you have any suggestions for us add to our DVD and CD collection? If so please post your suggestions here.
Tuesday, September 07, 2010
Monday, September 06, 2010
Congratulations to Katie Duncan who won ‘Trainee of the Year’ at the MG My Gateway 2010 Apprentice & Trainee Awards.
This year MG My Gateway employed 300 apprentices and trainees making it a very competitive field.The winners for all MG My Gateway awards were announced at an awards night at Campbelltown RSL, on Friday 3 September 2010.
Katie has been working as a Trainee in both Customer Service and Library, Museum & Gallery services over the past year. Katie now works as a Trainee in the Museum & Gallery. Katie is an outstanding trainee, who is dedicated to excellent customer service. She is always willing to assist colleagues as well as internal and external customers.
Katie shows enormous respect for her colleagues, her supervisors and to all staff within Council. Her maturity, calm attitude and enthusiasm are valued by all Council departments.
Katie commits 100% to her work and as a consequence Hurstville City Council has extended Katie’s traineeship by offering her the opportunity to complete Certificate IV in Business Administration earlier this year. Hurstville City Council feels fortunate to have had the opportunity to host Katie’s traineeship.
Friday, September 03, 2010
A History of the Islamic World
Entertaining and informative, with over 70 illustrations, photos, and maps this is a stimulating depiction of the world's second-largest religion, with over one billion adherents.
How I Write The Secret Lives of Authors
Where do writers get their ideas? How do they deal with writer's block? What do they do all day?
Find out the answers from the authors themselves. Original contributions are from well known authors including Jonathan Franzen, Joyce Carol Oates, Will Self and A. S. Byatt. Letters, photographs, drawings, illustrations, and other scattered mementos make up this book.
Oxford Guide to Style
Contains 16 topic-based chapters
offering advice on how to present
the written word.
Stirring speeches and battle cries
from history's greatest warriors and
A spirited defence of the home garden, includes explanations of how Australia became the world's first great suburban nation, how the layout of the back and front yard has changed over time and why manicured lawns and productive vegetable gardens have declined. The hidden meanings of the ordinary garden are explored along with fascinating insights into everything from fruit trees, woodsheds, rotrary clotheslines and illuminated Santas.
This book comprises over 550 specially taken colour photographs; over 180 sneaker designs from 11 leading brands chosen for the mark they have made on sneaker culture worldwide, brand histories and information on creating and caring for your collection.Encyclopedic in scope it is a delight for both the novice and hard core aficionado of all things sneaker.