Hurstville and its surrounding suburbs are a melting pot of vibrant food and culture.
We asked people from our community to send us recipes of some of their favourite foods that they love to make for family and friends.
Our FIRST Hurstville Family Recipe is from Ying! Who is sharing with all of us a wonderful and Easy Duck recipe.
This recipe was taught to Ying by her parents and
"[this dish]reminds me of the lovely festival season, enjoying dinner with my lovely family all together in Chinese with a lot of laughing"
Soy Sauce Duck
Difficulty: Easy Recipe type: Main Dish
Serves: 8 Preparation time: 10mins Cooking time: 60mins
1 tbsp Honey
3 pieces Ginger
5 gm Garlic
1 tsp Premium dark soy sauce
1 cup Premium soy sauce
1/2 cup Cooking wine
2 tbsp Chinese black vinegar
2 pieces Dried mandarin peel
5 gm Cinnamon sticks
5 gm Star anise
30 gm Chinese rock sugar
1 cup Water
Anything that can hold a whole duck on the stove, a wok would be ideal.
- Wash and clean the whole duck.
- Apply honey on the duck’s skin.
- Put the garlic and ginger into the cavity of the duck.
- Put all the other ingredients into a cooking wok and put on a low to medium heat on the stove.
- Put the whole duck into the cooking wok.
- After 30 minutes or when the duck has turned a nice golden colour, turn the duck over to cook on the other side.
- Once the duck has cooked remove it from the wok.
- Cut the cooked duck into smaller pieces to serve.
- Serve with steamed rice and vegetables.
Let us know how you go trying this recipe. #HurstvilleFamilyRecipes
Have a look for #HurstvilleFamilyRecipes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and join our Family Recipes Community and add a snap of your special food.
Do you live, work or play in Hurstville or surrounding suburbs? Are there dishes you make on special occasions?
Hurstville City Library Museum & Gallery would like you to share your family’s recipes with the community.
Whatever you cook, sweet or savory, we would love for you to share it with us!
If you would like to participate in this project, please follow the link to our What's On Page for more information.
Images courtesy of Ying.